Pages - Menu

Mourinho upbeat on chances

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is confident his team can match European champions Bayern Munich in Friday night's UEFA Super Cup clash - but refused to fan the flames of his rivalry with Pep Guardiola.
The pair were fierce competitors in La Liga as respective head coaches of Barcelona and Real Madrid but the Spaniard came out on top, Mourinho winning just three times in 15 games.
He disputed his poor record against Guardiola on Thursday, before relenting and turning his focus to the teams rather than the personalities.
"Your statistics are wrong and very wrong," Mourinho told a reporter. "But I don't want to discuss that. Because it's not important. It's wrong.
"Go there and see what happened with Inter in the Champions League semi-final. I won the Spanish Cup final in Valencia, I won the Super Cup in Spain. I was champion in Spain. I won the match for the title in Barcelona with Real Madrid.
"Maybe you are right and I am wrong. But I don't care. It's not important.
"It's about a Super Cup where the European champion is playing against the Europa League champion.
"Pep is not European champion and I'm not Europa League champion. We just coach now the European champion and the Europa League champion. This is not about us. It's about Chelsea and Bayern."
Mourinho said he was sure of a competitive match at the Stadion Eden.
"It's good for us," he added. "Before we start the Champions League, it's very good to play with Bayern.
"I don't want players to feel that because we were successful in the Europa League, you can keep the same level and you can be successful in the Champions League, because it's a different planet.
"What I really feel is that in spite of a difference in experience between the two teams and the stability Bayern has - because over the last years they were basically the same team, the same players - we can compete against them.